What a Great Business Idea!

Being involved in Business Networking over the years, I have seen many business models that I felt would be a good idea, and even a natural fit for me. I always get that momentary feeling of "I could do that, and probably do it very well. Perhaps I should try it". I never do.

The reason I don't latch on to a business idea of someone else's is not because I am lazy or unmotivated. I don't do it because it was not my idea. I have learned over the years that people are far more successful when their business idea comes from someplace within themselves, or they are inspired by another's idea, but have a unique twist on the idea.

When someone picks up on the business ideas of another and attempts to run with it, they are often missing an unknown element unique to the person who's idea they copied. It is far better to come up with your own idea, or contact the person for their help and even pay them a franchise fee, or other fee to help get them started. The person may even help them get their first customers. This is why franchises and party plan consultants of course, are an exception to this rule.


1 comment:

Wendy Lee said...

I couldn't agree more. I had someone copy my idea in the same networking group. They feel they have done nothing wrong. I feel like they will never succeed because it is not their passion, not their ideas and copying someone does not mean you know what you are doing.