Saving Some for Later

I got some business advice from a very wise person today. You see, I have been spending all of my time lately working for paid writing jobs, which is wonderful. However, I have spend very little of my time since the first of the year working on my blogs. That may not sound like a big deal since I get paid a living wage for my articles,and slave wages for my blogs. However, blogging does eventually pay off, and neglecting to work for them is the same as neglecting to put any money away for the future.

With my writing business paying off well, I have been busy focusing on now, and not my future income. If this continues, in five years, I will still be writing for six to eight hours a day or more, and making the same amount of money. If I cut back just two hours a day on my paid writing, and worked more time on my blogs, then in five years, I will be writing only two or three hours a day, and very possibly making alot more money.

Now I realize that not everyone's business works the same way I do, but in theory, anyone who owns a small business needs to spend a certain amount of time in active work, and also a portion of their time in planning, and marketing to bring in future business.

So here's where you talk back. What do you do, how much time to you spend on making income for now,and how much time do you spend working toward future income?

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I myself have another job outside the home that pays the bills. My husband and I also own a Carpet Cleaning business as well. We have owned the business for about 4years and we have gone thru good times and bad. Starting and building a business is hard work and it takes dedication from all who are in involved in the business. In the past it was mainly me doing all the networking and marketing and my husband doing all the manual labor. But we have learned that it takes all the hours you can give to build your business and our future. We both now are networking and marketing our business when he's not cleaning he's pounding the pavement or on the phone. We hope that our dedication will pay-off in the end because I feel that this day in time the only security you have in your career is the one you control. We are a small business with lots of competitors but we have found that there are a lot of people like ourselves who have dreams and want to help the little guy. We are very proud of our business and the service that we offer our customers. We treat our customers as we want would want to be treated. I found in return our biggest marketing tool has been word of mouth and referrals. So if anyone is in need of having there carpets cleaned and are looking for a company who will value there business then we are your company. Please feel free to check out our newly lauched website at www.chemprocarpet.com or if you have comments or questions on this blog you can email me at parsons@chemprocarpetcleaning.com if your interested in taking advantage of our great carpet cleaning special which is 3 rooms for $59 or 5 rooms for $89 please call 678-761-0175 for an appointment today.

DD said...

That's a good point. We need to look beyond what's just in front of our faces. It's not just income, either. I create pencil portraits for other people, and I do quite a bit, but I need to draw my own youngest son too!

Yes, as a writer, you should have a LOT of content that will be working for you down the line.