What you DON'T want to advertise on your vehicle

I was driving along today and noticed a truck with very large writing on the back window. It said "Don't Spread My Wealth Spread My Work Ethic". It seemed like a fair enough comment. The truck was covered with writing, and we were at a stoplight, so I kept reading.

I saw an Obama style bumper sticker that said "Buck Fama". Nice I thought. I kept reading. Under the political bumper stickers, was a business logo. In fact the entire side of the truck was covered with a business logo. But it doesn't really matter to me what the truck was advertising... it could have been selling ice cream from heaven, I was turned off by the vulgar bumper sticker.

This business man made several fatal errors when advertising politics on his business van.

1. The size of the political advertisement distracted from the business logos, thereby making people focus on it and not his adverstising.

2. One of the advertisements was (slyly) vulgar and thereby off putting.

3. He should have save politics for his personal car. By putting this strong statement on his car, he has sent a good amount of potential customers to the competition. People will work with you until you start discussing politics. As soon as they realize your politics might differ, well, you could lose customers.

It is hard to see the most offensive bumper sticker, but see the picture below to see how the political statement takes away from the other advertisment. At a stop light, you only have so much time to read the truck in front of you... Mine was taken up by the bumper sticker and lettering on the window. Fortunately I took a picture.

2 comments:

DD said...

SB emailed me and said she thinks the bumper sticker is actually for Bama fans (as in Alabama's team), but I still agree with you that anything that causes someone to think of a vulgar word shouldn't be put near anything that promotes a person's business.

Ahermitt said...

I wish that was the case, but having looked it up, I doubt it, plus there was a very similar one against Bush and it was w/ a trio of stickers/ sayings, the third of which I can't remember or see in the picture.

Regardless, It really does hurt business when you put strong statements on your car advertising.