Is Business Distracting You from Business?

You've spent time evaluating what you love doing. You have analyzed, planned, and started your business, but progress is slow going. A friend is doing an mlm business or party plan that looks like fun, you decide to join, just until your original business takes off. Did you do the right thing?

This is actually one of my pet peeves, but also my biggest temptation. I have been distracted from my main business by kitchen goods, baskets, makeup, soaps, curriculum books, and just about everything else that turned a profit. While this is great in the short term, my enjoyment was short lived as it took me away from my goal of working a business that I truly enjoyed. (I actually hate selling things.) I have learned over the years to say, "I really like your products/ plan, and may even make a purchase from you, but I cannot take my business focus from what I am doing."

On the other hand, I am currently putting more effort into a business other than what I originally started. I started out focusing on Mural art and decorating kids rooms. As my life took its turns, I found that I did not have time to do murals and decorating and began writing about it instead. Now I work mainly as a freelance writer (writing about everything under the sun) squeezing in only a few murals a year.

Writing is working out well for me, and I plan to use that to get into illustrating which will take me full circle artistically.

So while holding on to your business and avoiding distractions is important, flexibility is also needed... Where do you draw the line?

No comments: