Should You Place a Listing?

When one starts a business, it makes sense to place a business listing to let people know you exist. I had a Kudzu.com as well as listings in parents' magazines listing for some time, but decided to let them go because they were not right for my business. You see I do the kind of work that invites alot of shoppers. People want me come to their homes, draw mural ideas, and then get back to me, when and if they decide to go ahead with the job. Having a popular listing on Kudzu.com nearly caused me to stop doing business altogether, as I was spending too much time with "shoppers" and not enough time with buyers. I was working my butt off and not making a cent.

I am not saying however that placing a listing may not be right for you. Some businesses that would greatly value from such a listing: Repair services, cleaning services, Restaurants, and anyone else who a customer can and must to make a quick decision without the service person spending hours on preparation and making presentations.

If you do have a service based business like me where it is necessary to evaluate the space and give a quote, you may want to charge a fee for your quote to be deducted from the full job if they go ahead with it.

No comments: