More on blogging

Andrea wrote yesterday about blogging. I wanted to add my proverbial two cents in, as you all know I tend to do!

When I first considered blogging, I had no idea why anyone would want to read what I had to say. I still kind of wonder why they want to read what I write, but that's their business! :)

A lady who was in our networking group told me that what was holding me back was the fear of not being good enough, and to just forget about that fear and start writing. So I did. I thought I would blog about 4 days and then I'd run out of content, but now it's been over 4 years.
I still draw a blank sometimes, and that's okay.

I have had people visit my website through the links on my blog. In between the personal touch of the blog and my website, I think it takes away the intimidation people feel when they want to contact any business through their site. I do pencil portraits and I feel portraiture is a very personal kind of 'product,' so anything that helps people feel my personality and feel comfortable emailing or calling me is a good thing.

If you are considering starting a business blog, the best advice I can give you is to remember that the blog is like a conversation. It's a two-way street. Make sure your blog is set up so people can comment. You can usually set up the blog so you can approve the comments before they are posted to protect against spam and general meanies. Imagine you are visiting with them and just chatting. Use your 'real' voice. Don't use words like 'enable,' 'utilize,' 'paradigm,' etc if that isn't the way you really speak. Don't call me either, if you do speak that way. I will not be able to understand you. Use small, simple words, and enunciate clearly. Remember, I am an artist.

My blog can be found here: LINK

1 comment:

Ahermitt said...

But that would hinder my natural voice and squash my ability to communicate! :) ... says one artist to the other.