Prioritizing Your Business

When you work from home, sometimes business gets prioritized at the bottom of the pile.

Sometimes being such a low priority is a good thing and is why people work from home, to be able to put family first. Other times it is the result of letting people ignore the fact that you work from home.

Because I work around my children's homeschooling schedule, it is hard for me to tell people that I work between this hour and that, because I don't. I generally work when I can. I believe this gives the impression that I am not working at all, and unfortunately, this invites people to assume I am not busy when I am not teaching my kids. This assumption invites calls for favors.

Can you imaging my surprise this week when after I made it clear that my kids were having an especially busy week, that I still got phonecalls and request to drive people around, or to help someone with a project.

But why am I surprised when I haven't made it clear that every moment I am not teaching my kids or taking care of the home that I am working.

How do you prioritize your business?

by andrea hermitt

1 comment:

DD said...

I have this happen to me, too.
I have a few hours a couple days a week that my littlest one is in preschool. I told myself I was going to be really rigid about only doing artwork during that time.

Well wouldn't you know it? Today I blew most of that time going grocery shopping.

Regarding the people wanting favors, don't let them make you feel guilty! We can help people more when they solve their own problems in advance LOL.