When I first started networking...

I was a jerk.
Mainly this was because I didn't really know what networking was.

Step into my time machine and check out how I was a jerk.
I was invited to an online 'virtual' networking event that was being done by an online group as a membership drive. The idea was to use the Yahoo Group to let people come in and post their ads and talk to each other over a 24 hour period.

I just didn't get the idea yet that networking is about giving, not just getting.
During the event, I tried to get into the group about every half hour to an hour, and I'd just blast my ad. To me, it was all about free advertising, and getting my business in their face.

Looking back, I know I had to be totally obnoxious, yet the ladies in the networking group were nice and gave me some kind comments on my art.

Now I know that the most successful networkers help other people. Now I know the idea is to help other people be successful. We all know that when someone has helped us, we always remember them! That's the key to business networking. Really the key to all business. If you help other people get what they want, you will get what you want. Now I try to be a giver, not a taker.

I'm not ashamed of how I behaved, because I didn't have any ill intentions,
I just didn't know any better. It was a learning experience.

No comments: